Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Romans 12:9

"Let love be genuine, abhor what is evil; hold fast to what is good" (ESV)
"Let love be without hypocrisy. Abhor what is evil. Cling to what is good." (NKJV)

I am by no means a greek scholar. However, I've heard and read that the word "hypocrisy" comes from a greek word that means to play a part, or to act in a drama. Its interesting that we need to be instructed to let our love be without hypocrisy. I have alot of ideas about what love looks like and how it feels to love. But is my love genuine? Is it an act? Do the people around me know that when I say "I love you" or when I do something that says it, that I am sincere? To say and do one thing while thinking and feeling something different is making a theatrical production out of my life. Life isn't a play. The world I live in is full of people who need true love...old, young, wealthy, poor, famous, unknown. If I spend my days playing the part of someone who loves, I will be so worn out. I'll be waiting for the audience to go home and for the curtain to close. It doesn't work like that.
I need to wake up each day with open eyes. With sincere, honest, heart-felt, heart-breaking love inside of me. Maybe then I can touch a life. I don't want to entertain with my outward show. I want to touch the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment