Friday, July 22, 2011

.make me devoted.

Monday 7/18/11

“And they devoted themselves to the apostles teaching and the fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to the prayers” Acts 2:42

This verse captures the first days of a group of believers newly baptized into the same family. Reading this, one thing in particular stands out. This was a group affair. They came together and sought God’s face together...praying in desperation to the Lord. Also, they devoted themselves. Devoted. To them, this wasn’t an afterthought or a routine. The Lord Jesus Christ and his revelation was everything they wanted.

Have I recently come before the Word starving for the bread of life? Have I feasted long enough to sustain me? Or am I pulled away before I’ve gotten enough to energize and nourish me? Have I come to my brothers and sisters in Christ to give and receive anything more than a whisp of passing humor? How often have we sat down in undistracted fellowship with no intention other than to see our Father’s face?

Breaking bread and remembering our Lord is first of all an act of obedience. But communion with our Father is secondly a sweet privilege. After all, it cost a huge price. How much sweeter to break bread and remember the price that was paid, often and with family, who also has been baptized into new life?

No comments:

Post a Comment