Friday, July 22, 2011

Taking Care of Others

“And they were selling their possessions and belongings and distributing the proceeds to all, as any had need.” Acts 2:45

I think (and this is totally a guess) that some American Christians have really mixed feelings about this verse.

This kind of community sounds wonderful. No selfishness allowed, right? I usually think this way for about 2 minutes before my brain takes a sharp left-hand turn. I hear a list of that starts with I would have to…

Sell the stuff I’ve worked for, which means having LESS but still working the same amount.

Give to people who might not appear to work hard at all.

Possibly live less comfortably.

After counting the cost would I want to live this way? Why should I even consider it?

Simply because scripture describes true religion as taking care of widows and orphans.

Christ says “whatever you’ve done for the least of these, you’ve done for me”. I would be privileged to sell something of my own to pay for a Doctor appointment for someone who is sick and can’t afford it, or to give grocery money to a single mom.

I’m going to hold all of my earthly junk at arms length so I can depart with it if someone has a need. Recently I heard one of my pastors ask “How tight of a grip do you want to have on what is not yours to keep?” To that I say “not tight” and “Amen”.

No comments:

Post a Comment